Sunday, December 6, 2009

Well, okay then.

“How would you feel about using your French and going to Africa in mid-August 2010 to work in Business Advising?”

Well, okay… that’s that then!

In August this year I decided that I was going to apply to join the Peace Corps. A rather random thing to do, but there you have it. My reasoning is perhaps a little different from others that join the Peace Corps, but I am not sure what it is that I’m doing with my life and work, so I think this will be a very good way for me to explore some options – maybe I should be teaching, or in small business advising, or non-profit work… I don’t know. Either way, I know that it will be an extremely challenging, and probably life-changing time. I’m sure I will be overwhelmed, homesick, scared, frustrated, and completely confused a lot of the time. I’m also sure though, that it will be challenging, rewarding, educational, and worth every minute. I’m convinced that it will be good for me to be outside of my comfort zone for 27 months and give up my life for something bigger than me. And for me to give up some of my shoes.

So, the stage that I’m at right now is this: I submitted my application in August, had my interview with my recruiter on September 15th, who then nominated me for a position. I don’t know what this position is; all I know is that it involves Business Advising in West Africa, departing mid-August 2010. That’s it. After the nomination, I received a medical packet, which involves 4 doctors visits, an optometrists visit, a dentists visit, 6 vials of blood, a urine test, a tetanus shot, a TB shot and a partridge in a pear tree. I finally got all that together, and have sent that to Washington DC, to the main PC offices. Apparently someone there will review all that (good luck to them), and decide if there is anything that would prevent me being in a particular country. Or if I’m likely to have a psychotic breakdown while there.

But after all that, now all I do is wait. And wait. And then… shocker… some more waiting...

And wait I will.

More to come.

R.

No comments:

Post a Comment